Wondering how does Ibotta make money? Folks are constantly buzzing about this easy cash back app! Learn how Ibotta works and if it’s really worth it with this review.
As someone who has personally used the Ibotta app for the past few years, I can tell you it’s an incredibly easy way to save money on your groceries, clothing and pretty much just about anything!
Wondering how does the Ibotta app work and if the Ibotta app is worth it? Read on as I break it down for you in four easy steps! But first…
Note: Some links may be affiliate links. That means I may make a commission if you use my links to purchase, at no extra added cost to you! I only recommend products that I personally love and believe in. Full disclosure here.
What is Ibotta?
Ibotta is a money-saving app that allows you to redeem cash back on certain purchases you make in-store or when you do mobile shopping. How do Ibotta rebates work? The concept is pretty simple! You just select what you plan on purchasing and then after the purchase submit a verification of said purchase inside their app.
Once Ibotta verifies your purchase, they add the rebate amount to your cash back balance in the app!
The best part in my opinion of the Ibotta app (in addition to how easy it is to use) is that the savings you get in cashback from redeeming offers through Ibotta can be used in addition to other money saving strategies, like:
- Rewards programs
- Matching deals
- And other money-saving apps too!
Is Ibotta Hard to Use?
It’s actually incredibly easy to use the Ibotta app. There are a few steps you have to take to redeem your offers and claim the cashback, but the steps are really simple. The app has clear instructions and it’s also very easy to manuever through.
How Ibotta Works
Ibotta works in four easy to understand steps.
Step 1 – Add offers to your account in the Ibotta app before you go shopping.
How the Ibotta App works…
- First open the Ibotta app on your phone and log in (If don’t already have an account, you can download the app here).
- Select your favorite stores.
- On the home page, find and select offers at the specific retailer you’re planning to shop at. Be sure to pay attention to the expiration dates!
- The “Offers” section for each retailer displays pictures of the products with the related offers and the total amount of cash back displayed under each product.
- When you see an offer for a product you’re interested in, just click on the button to view the complete details. For many products on the Ibotta app, there is usually more than one way to earn cash back.
Step 2 – Go shopping!
- Shop in store using the mobile app or online using the Ibotta mobile browser extension.
- Be aware of the quantities that might be required for redemption, as well as expiration dates.
- Double check that you’ve selected the offers you want and added them to the “My Offers” list.
- After shopping, you’ll redeem your cashback from here by selecting the items you’ve purchased and submitting proof of your purchase.
Step 3 – Redeem your offers.
How do you redeem on Ibotta? It’s easy and can be done in one of the following ways:
- Manual receipt submission (the original and most popular route):
- Once you’re in the app, select redeem and choose the retailer you shopped at.
- You will be promoted to take photos of your receipt (or scan the QR code located on the receipt for certain retailers), and select the offers you want to redeem.
- Scan barcodes of the items purchased if prompted by the app!
2. Loyalty Card submission
- Certain retailers require you to submit your store loyalty card and select your offers prior to shopping instead of uploading a receipt.
- This will give you automatic redemption of valid offers within 48 hours of indicating your purchase in the app.
- Be aware that this only works with certain retailers, so be sure to double check the details of your particular stores.
3. Mobile submission
- Open the Ibotta app and select the retailer you wish to purchase from for app-to-app or in-app purchases (like Amazon). Follow the prompts and shop as usual!
Step 4 – Snag your cash.
How do you get the money from Ibotta? It’s easy!
After you’ve redeemed your valid rebates, Ibotta adds your cash back to your app account within 24 to 48 hours. When you reach a minimum of $20, you can redeem your cash back either for gift cards from major retailers, or payout through Venmo or PayPal!
How does Ibotta make money?
In addition to the ways above that help you make money from Ibotta, they also offer a few other ways for you to maximize your cashback earning, like:
- “Bonuses” are an easy way for users to earn additional cash. The more active you are on the Ibotta app (as in, the more frequently you use it to redeem cash back for yourself from shopping), the more bonuses you’ll have to unlock! Tapping on each specific bonuses reveal the details on how you can earn it.
- When you complete a bonus, you will be given the opportunity to unlock another bonus, and there are also bonuses that become available for seasonal shopping (like back to school and Thanksgiving).
- Friend Bonuses:
- Ibotta has a generous referral program for referring friends to join Ibotta and create their own accounts. In order to earn these bonuses, your friends need to sign up with your individual referral link.
- Like the shopping bonuses mentioned above, Ibotta also offers additional friend bonus promotions from time to time where you can earn even more for your referrals! These are announced in the app and through their email newsletter, too.
Stores Where You Can Use Ibotta
Currently, Ibotta works with over 300 participating retail chains, restaurants, movie theaters, convenience stores, home improvement centers, pet stores, and pharmacies nationwide, including Target, Amazon, Walmart, Kroger and many more! To see the most current list of stores, visit the Ibotta website.
What is the catch with Ibotta?
As far as I’ve been able to tell from the past four years of shopping and redeeming cash back with Ibotta, there’s not one! As long as you are shopping at retailers that are part of Ibotta, and following the necessary steps required for redeeming offers at each of them (as they can vary), this app truly is a great and legit way for earning cashback!
One important thing to note is that there is a relatively short window for redeeming offers manually with a receipt within the Ibotta app of 7 days. For example, if you make a purchase on Wednesday at 5 pm, you will have until the following Monday at 4:59 pm to submit your receipt.
Is the Ibotta app really worth it?
Short answer? Yes! Ibotta is a really easy and straightforward cashback app to use, and they offer multiple types of bonuses throughout the year too for extra cashback opportunities.
But in my opinion, one of the best things about using Ibotta is that this is an easy way for you to save more money that really works. As more grocery stores have moved away from allowing double and triple coupon redemption (or become more strict in general with coupons), it’s become more challenging to trim your grocery bill. Ibotta gives you a way to earn money back that is straightforward, with no gimmicks and no confusion.
If you’re looking for more ways to earn money using your phone, be sure to also read The Best Money-Making Apps for Android. Don’t forget to download the Ibotta app by clicking here so you can start saving today!